Tuesday, April 15, 2008

A Long Day

It has really been a long day.

I found out first thing this morning that my great grandmother "Tiny" passed away last night, she was 101. Obviously at her age this is something that can be expected at some point, I just do not know why it had to be now. I know that she is in a better place and is not suffering. Until last Thursday she was completely fine, they think that she had a massive stroke in her sleep on Thursday night. No matter when it is still hard. I think that what makes it harder for me is that I am not able to attend the funeral, since I am due with Baby S in a few short days.

We have always been close to her, she was the most loving person that you could meet. A lot of people say that I had a lot of her traits. She was a very tall women for being born in the early 1900's. She was about 5 feet 10 inches. I would have been as tall as her if I had not broken my hip. She also had very large feet for a woman, 9 1/2 , I wear a 10. Everyone else in my family has small feet. We used to spend a lot of time in the summer with her at her house in San Antonio. She and my great aunt lived together for years after their husbands passed away. They believed in a big breakfast and lunch and then just a snack for dinner. They went to bed early with rollers in their hair and always used Oil of Olay. They did not believe in using a dishwasher, that was for storing bread, I know odd. They only bought Coca Cola in glass bottles. I have so many fond memories of her that will last a lifetime. She made the best Pralines, she was a true Southern women.

On top of it work is crazy and I only have three days left in my mind to conquer the world, I have to just come to terms that it cannot be done.

Finally, to sum it all up I have gotten sick. Plenty of our students have respiratory infections or strep! Wonderful!

Here's to a better day tomorrow and fond memories of the great grandmother I loved so much. "Tiny"!

2 comments:

Allison said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your great grandmother, but I know you take great comfort in knowing that she's in a perfect place now...and that you have so many fond memories of her. She sounds like such a neat woman.

And no matter how old they are, even though you expect it, it doesn't make it any easier.

I'm here to support and love you! Hopefully the craziness will subside soon!

Unknown said...

You have definitely been in my prayers. You always have such good stories about Tiny! What an awesome tribute to someone who lived such a full life.

Just remember - this too shall pass! And before you can get to everything on your list - you will be holding a precious new life - another tribute to your tall, fun, big-hearted Tiny:)

I am so glad you have a blog! And I am so glad you are my friend.